BEING A TEACHER....

BEING A TEACHER IS A DIFFICULT TASK NOWADAYS, SO I DECIDED TO FOLLOW THIS PIECE OF ADVICE BY BRUCE LEE:

Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

by Bruce Lee

sábado, 26 de diciembre de 2015

Superlatives and wishing



It is Christmas time and it is time to wish everybody the best. Let's revise then what we know about wishing and the superlatives:


SUPERLATIVES  (click here for further information)  >>>


  1. Remember the difference between  'oldest' and 'eldest' (remember: an elderly lady). Although both of them are possible to use for relatives, it is better to say 'My eldest brother works as a civil engineer in New Zealand'.
  2. Remember the difference between the  RELATIVE SUPERLATIVE , that is, a superlative used regarding a specific group (for instance: "He is the tallest boy in the class"), and the  ABSOLUTE SUPERLATIVE meaning 'very' and which does not make reference to any specific group (for example: "The book you lent me was most interesting.")    
  3. Finally, after superlatives we use in with places (the longest river in the world) and of for a period of time (the happiest day of my life)

WISHES AND REGRETS  (click here for further information)  >>>

- wishes for change in the present  (I wish + PAST SIMPLE / PAST CONTINUOUS)   
I wish I were rich / we were spending our holidays in Honolulu this year. 
- regrets about something in the past (I wish + PAST PERFECT)         
I wish At Madrid had defeated Real Madrid in the Champions League Final in 2014.
- complaints about a thing or situation and that you would like it to change in the future.         
I wish my students would listen to me (Actually they don't do it, but I would like them to do it).


And you can also visit this blog: MY ENGLISH CLASS for more details.

Listening exercise to do: Christmas kindness (BBC Learning English - 6 Minute English)

LINGOHACK: Episode 151223 / 23 Dec 2015  >>>  Expressions presented: confront, reinforces & stepping down.



No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario