Nowadays we have got rivalries such as Federer-Nadal, Nadal-Djokovic, Djokovic-Murray... but not long ago we had one of the most legendary rivalries of all times in tennis and that was between Jimmy Connors, who managed to reach the semi-finals of the US Open at the age of 39, and John McEnroe, a genius with such a moody character who is remembered not only for his excellences in tennis, but also for his ill-tempered arguments with the umpires.
By the way, did you know that the chair umpires in tennis are like the referees in football?
Here are some videos about these two great players, John McEnroe and Jimmy Connors:
Duels - Connors vs McEnroe - Documentary (in French)
Some articles to read about the issue:
CONNORS SEES TROUBLE IN ROW WITH MCENROE (The New York Times)
McEnroe and Connors Agree: There Is No One Around Quite Like Them (The New York Times)
Activities for my 2º ESO students: Using the superlatives, write about the worst and best things of 2017?Example: Itrabo has the best wine in the world, but the people in Molvizar it is the worst wine in the world.
Lucy tells us about 10 boy names YOU pronounce INCORRECTLY.
HIGHWAY TO B2.....
1. Complete the following sentences with the correct form of the word in CAPITALS.1. That man is a police.... INSPECT 2. Jack is a very bad.... LOSE 3. Einstein was a great.... THINK
4. I've always wanted to be an..... ACT 5. The ...... all went back to the ship. SAIL
6. The town is full of tourists and other.... VISIT 7. Jack the Ripper was a famous.... MURDER
2. Word combinations. First, say what the thing is and does. Secondly, try to guess the item we give the definition of.1. a cassette-player 2. a stain-remover 3. a water-softener 4. a water-purifier 5. a cigarette-lighter 6. a voice-stress-analyser 7. a machine that washes dishes 8. a special kind of pot that cooks things under great pressure 9. a liquid that is used to thin paints 10. another kind of liquid that removes paints 11. a machine people use to dry their hair 12. a kind of medicine or liquid that some men hope will restore their hair 13. a small gadget people use to open tins 14. a very simple kind of machine that people use when they sweep carpets 15. a powder which kills ants 16. a screw that pulls corks out of bottles 17. a small gadget that opens bottles
Solutions to USE OF ENGLISH exercises in the previous post.1. 1d 2c 3a 4b
2. 1. I wish I hadn't said that. 2. I wish you wouldn't ask me so many questions. 3. I wish you hadn't asked that question. 4. I wish you wouldn't make that noise. 5. I wish I hadn't done that. 6. I wish you wouldn't do that. 7. I wish I had got here earlier. 8. I wish you wouldn't say things like that. 9. I wish you hadn't said that. 10. I wish you hadn't done that. 11. I wish I hadn't asked that question.