Today it is the day to give a big hug to our fathers (if it is still possible). They, along with our mothers, are always ahead of the herd and in charge of everything. However, there is a time when our fathers can't keep the pace and are left behind. We find them place in a nursing home for elderly people and we forget about them.
Now they are at the top in the fatality rate ranking and many are passing away because they are so weak they can't cope with the Covid-19 pandemic.
An expert explains: how to help older people through the COVID-19 pandemic (World Economic Forum)
Eric Clapton-My father's eyes
RECOMMENDATIONS FOR THE QUARANTINE
Thursday, 19th March
Solutions to some of yesterday's exercises.
2. He also finds an elephant to take them to Allahabad.
3. His young wife, the princess, must die with him in a big fire.
4. Suddenly, the priests see the prince's body on the fire.
The phonetic phenomenon is ASSIMILATION in HIS SHOES (The final s of the word 'his' is assimilated to the sound / ʃ / of 'shoes'). Listen to it again and you'll see how the s is not pronounced, but the word is linked to the word 'shoes' as if the two words were only one. Pay attention to the lengthening of the 'i' /i:/ of 'his' .
And these are the 2 tasks for today:
>>> Do the activities on page 64.
Some questions to answer about the text:
1. What is 'a four-kilo ball'?
2. What is the 'winning team' and the 'losing team'?
3. Can you translate this bit into Spanish: "A few years later, someone makes a hole in the bottom of the basket and then the ball can fall down"
4. Listen to the whole text and read it aloud.
>>> Extra exercise on ADJECTIVES & ADVERBS. I am giving you the adjectives in brackets, so fill in the gaps with the correspondent adverbs.
1. My brother can't throw or kick a ball ...... (hard), but he can run .... (quick)
2. Messi plays football ..... (good), but he speaks English ..... (bad).
3. A snail moves ...... (slow), but it can go .... (far).
4. Michael Jordan could jump ..... (high) and he could throw a basketball ..... (easy) into the basket.
5. Susan can dance ..... (beautiful) and she swims ..... (nice), too.