BEING A TEACHER....

BEING A TEACHER IS A DIFFICULT TASK NOWADAYS, SO I DECIDED TO FOLLOW THIS PIECE OF ADVICE BY BRUCE LEE:

Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

by Bruce Lee

lunes, 23 de octubre de 2023

Just small potatoes!!




"Why was she crying?" "Oh, nothing. Her business was just small potatoes!"  What does this expression mean?


   

Listen to this song by Mark Knopfler and you'll find out: Small potatoes . You can have a look at the lyrics to try to understand it better.

 





Here are some activities for you to do:

 



 

Activities for my students.....

 

in 2º ESO:  SIMPLE PAST - REGULAR VERBS  

in 3º ESO:  Exercises on 'USED TO'  

 

in Bachillerato:

 

184. A. READING AND COMPREHENSION. Read and then answer the questions:


"Death will come to those who disturb the peace of Pharaohs..." These were the words found inscribed in the tomb of the Egyptian boy King Tutankhamun at Luxor, when it was opened in February, 1923 - for the first time in 3,000 thousand years.

 

The man who led the expedition to Egypt to excavate Tutankhamun's tomb was an Englishman, 57 year old Lord Carnarvon. And the Curse of Pharaohs was well known to him. He knew what had happened to the man who, in the late 19th century, had brought another Pharaoh's coffin  back to England. Arthur Weigall, one of the men in Carnavon's expedition, had told Carnarvon all about the owner of the coffin. "No sooner had he obtained the coffin than he lost his gun when his gun exploded. The ship in which the coffin was sent home was wrecked. The house in which it was kept was burnt down. The photographer who took a picture of it shot himself. A lady friend of whom the owner was very fond was lost at sea."  The list of tragedies was of enormous length.

 

1. What do you think the words found in the tomb of Tutankhamun mean?  ______________________

2. Who was Tutankhamun?   ______________________________________________________

3. What happened in February, 1923?   ______________________________________________

4. Who was Lord Carnarvon?  ________________________________________________

5. What had happened when someone else had taken another Pharaoh's coffin to England in the late 19th century?

 

Now define the following words from the text (you can also give synonyms):

 

6. coffin   _____________________________________________________________________

7. enormous   __________________________________________________________________

8. Pharaohs    __________________________________________________________________

185. Fill in the blanks with suitable prepositions:

I  want  to  tell you something ..........  Arthur. He  lives ..........  21  Gladstone Avenue,.......... Mrs Harrison  and  Mr Smithers.  He  works .......... the library ..........  Middleford High  Street. The Sunny Snack Bar is quite ......... the  library ..........  the other side .......... the road. Sometimes he  goes there .......... a cup .......... coffee.

  


186. PRODUCTION. Write about your childhood (remember how to express habits in the past and REMEMBER + V-ing) and the changes in your life since then.


Small Potatoes - Love is in the Air | Songs for Kids


 

Barefoot Contessa's 5-Star Garlic Roasted Potatoes | Barefoot Contessa | Food Network

 

 

 

 

8 comentarios:

  1. Last week I cooked a cake , and my friends cooked a lots of cookies , and then we went to a supermarket , there were some milk , 3 pieces of cheese , and many eggs. We bought some milk , a few eggs , a piece of cheese , and a lot of ice-cream . In this supermarket there were a lot of things to buy! Nerea Sánchez Díaz 2ºB

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Este comentario ha sido eliminado por el autor.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Last week i cooked a pizza ,and my friends cooked a lots sanwichd .

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Every Christmas Eve I go to my grandmother’s house, I go with all my family. Each one brings a different plate for starter and dessert. I usually play some games with my cousins and eat some sweets. At 3:00am every one goes home, because the next day we meet again. All the family goes to a restaurant for lunch. We do that every year, because it is a tradition.

    Carolina Prieto López 2ºB

    ResponderEliminar
  5. The potato is a plant food, the spanis brought the potato from América. I really like potatoes, specially fried potatoes, also in spanish tortillas, although potatoes are very good with any dish.

    ResponderEliminar
  6. The little potato in the picture is very cute!! Anyway I like cooking with my family in Christmas Eve , I apreciate every single moment with my family everyday. They are very special for me , I love them so much. But there is only one person I like to spend time with more than others and she is my sister-in-law, she is very good to me and I could say that we connect a lot, we have the same tastes in common

    ResponderEliminar
  7. Last week I cooked coleslaw stew and Lentils stew. My friends cooked Romanian food, spaghetti, meat and we bought chinese noodles for dinner.

    ResponderEliminar
  8. (corregido)
    Antonia: Do you like the potatoes? Pepa:I don't like them Antonia: Well, I don't like its. Pepa: Why?/Why not? Antonia: Because for me the potatoes are so sweet and I like salty things Pepa: Really? Food with potatoes is so delicious! For example, potatoes fried the old way, the roast potatoes and the mashed potatoes. You must eat some of this food. Antonia: I could try them.

    ResponderEliminar