BEING A TEACHER....

BEING A TEACHER IS A DIFFICULT TASK NOWADAYS, SO I DECIDED TO FOLLOW THIS PIECE OF ADVICE BY BRUCE LEE:

Empty your mind, be formless. Shapeless, like water. If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put water into a bottle and it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now, water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend.

by Bruce Lee

miércoles, 8 de noviembre de 2023

Don't dare to one-up your English teacher...

 

Don't dare to one-up your English teacher (check the meaning of this expression below), just try to work as much as he does and you'll get the best results!!

 

What to say to someone who is always trying to "one up" you   by Marie Dubuque



 

Here's a listening exercise for you to start: Should we farm octopus? (6 Minute English, BBC English Learning) 


 

Is octopus farming sustainable? (DW)





Here are some activities for you to do: 

 

 

mmmEnglish:  Difference between -ING & -ED adjectives     

 

 

 

 

Activities for my students.....

 

in 2º ESO:  Exercise on Comparatives 1  

in 3º ESO:  SUBJECT and OBJECT questions   and more

 

 

and finally for students in Bachillerato.....

 

Getting ready for Bachillerato.....

 

191. COMPARATIVES. Fill in the gaps with the comparatives of superiority and the superlatives of the adjectives you are given in brackets:

 

1. For (far) ______________ information on the passive you should revise the grammar revision.

2. Mick Malone's (old) _______________ brother came from Ireland to visit him.

3. This is (bad) _______________ football match I've ever watched.

 

Translate the following sentences into English:

 

4. Ella no llegó tan tarde como de costumbre.  ________________________________________

5. Cuanto más estudio, menos problemas tengo con el inglés.

______________________________________________________________________________

6. Los exámenes se van complicando cada vez más.

_____________________________________________________


192. Insert the second sentences into the first ones by means of RELATIVE CLAUSES:

 

1. That is the boy. I borrowed his motorbike last Saturday.

______________________________________________________________________________

2. Southampton is a busy sea port. It is on the south coast of England.

______________________________________________________________________________

3. Jimmy Connors was once married to Chris Evert.He was a very famous American tennis player.

______________________________________________________________________________

4. Apolo XI was the spaceship. It took Armstrong and Aldrin to the moon.

______________________________________________________________________________

5. Last year I had to read the book. You are looking at it now.

______________________________________________________________________________


193. CONDITIONALS. Put the verbs in brackets into their correct tense and fill in the gaps (...) with these words:  IF  /  WHEN  /  PROVIDED THAT  /  UNLESS /  AS LONG AS     

 

1. I am going to Rome next week. ................ I (BE) __________ there, I (SEE)______________ the Colisseum.

2. .................... we (GO) ____________ now, we (MISS) ____________ the train.

3. I (HELP) ____________ ....................... I (FINISH) _____________ first.

4. .............. she (HAVE) _____________ a ticket she (GO) _________________ to the concert.

5. Albert sr.(PLAY) ________________  with you tomorrow morning ..............  Albert jr. (EAT) ______________ every three hours.

 

Answers to exercises in previous post.....

 

187. TENSES. 1. had her eyes tested 2. need being cleaned / cleaning    3. see    4. has been playing / has played    5. used to play   6. got  /  was coming  7. going   8. to come    9. to meeting    10. am not going to take  /   won't arrive

 

188. PASSIVE VOICE:   1. Your house is being cleaned at the moment.  2. Lieutenant Columbus is called only in special occasions.  3. All the jewels were stolen last night.   4. Refreshments will not be served until the match is over.     5. It is thought that they make...  /  The are thought to make... /  These artificial flowers are thought to be made of silk

                                                                                                                                          

189. INDIRECT SPEECH:   1. The father asked the son to bring him the newspaper.    2. He asked who put / had put salt in his coffee.   3. The small boy said he was going fishing with his mother that afternoon.    4. The policeman asked me what she was wearing when I saw her last.    5. Mrs Pitt said she would sit up till she came in, but that she hoped she wouldn't be late.


190. Give a piece of advice to each problem:   1. You should/ought to/'d better... go to bed earlier.   2. Why don't you have it checked. (Other possibilities are also correct)

 
 

 

   

Here's my musical hint for today: Perfect World by Huey Lewis & The News, when you discover there's no perfect world  or a perfect person, either. PERFECTION is a goal you never reach and when you think you have it, that means you're on the way to FAILURE!!!

 

 

But, anyway, as the song says "you've got to keep on dreaming that we are living in a perfect world!!!"

 

 


13 comentarios:

  1. Este comentario ha sido eliminado por el autor.

    ResponderEliminar
  2. Writing 02

    A: What do you want to be after 20 years?
    B:I want to be gamer, I love playing games.

    A: What do you think about the game Five Nights at Freddy's?
    B: I love it, but I don't like Fnaf 1.

    A: What did you use to do in summer?
    B:I used to visit Tarragona, but now I prefer to go to Morocco.

    A: What do you prefer, water park or amusement park?
    B: Water park because I like swimming.

    ResponderEliminar
  3. Last Summer I visited Setenil de las Bodegas in Málaga with my family. We walked in the village and we ate in a restaurant. Then I meet with friends in Salobreña and we walked in a park.

    Jose Salvador Puentedura Haro 2ºB ESO

    ResponderEliminar
  4. Most people missunderstand that the main focus in their lives are themselves. A day isn't a opportunity to reach a higher level in your favourite videogame or watch the new film which has just been released, but a opportunity to improve ourselves and go a step further from we are to our best versions.

    As I could hear in a interview to a famous person who encourages people to deal with procastinating and not being disciplined, he said how big would our dreams be if we knew we couldn't fail. This simple quote made me think about where I am and where I would like to be. It isn't a fast process, but an important one, and it's that simple that if you work all the days in a week, you win the week; if you work all the weeks in a month, you win the month; if you work all the months in a year, you win the year; and if you work all the years in your life, you win the life.

    Even though you aren't able to display the best version of you everyday, or you can't work with the same intensity, the most important thing is to not stop. I prefer walking a step each day to reach Madrid from now, than regret in the future not had been capable to visit it.

    ResponderEliminar
  5. Este comentario ha sido eliminado por el autor.

    ResponderEliminar
  6. WRITING 02
    Hi Sam!
    Look at photo of me a poster in my class. I am with my two friends. We are painting a robot.

    The girl next to me is Andrea. She is very beautiful, she has big, blue eyes. The boy in the black T-shirt is my friend Jose. He’s funny, and good-looking. He is strong. Look at his hair. It’s green! Can you see me? “The most beautiful” you know

    Call me later
    Claudia

    CLAUDIA RAMÓN UTRABO 2B ESO

    ResponderEliminar
  7. WRITING 02
    Hi Sam!
    Look at photo of me a poster in my class. I am with my two friends. We are painting a robot.

    The girl next to me is Andrea. She is very beautiful, she has big, blue eyes. The boy in the black T-shirt is my friend Jose. He’s funny, and good-looking. He is strong. Look at his hair. It’s green! Can you see me? “The most beautiful” you know

    Call me later
    Claudia

    CLAUDIA RAMÓN UTRABO 2B ESO

    ResponderEliminar
  8. WRITING 03

    A: Do you enjoy swimming in the sea?
    B: Yes, I love swimming
    A: What’s your favourite activity?
    B: I like horse-riding and to play the piano
    A: Do you prefer learning violin or the piano?
    B: I like them both. I’m good at music, but I hate playing tennis
    A: I don’t mind playing tennis, but I prefer singing songs.
    B: What do you like?
    A: I really like drawing. It’s very interesting.
    B: Yes, of course.I like drawing too.

    CLAUDIA RAMÓN UTRABO 2B ESO

    ResponderEliminar
  9. I think the octopus farming is sustainable, because it is a great solution to keep them.
    The gulf of Mexico is warming because of the climate change and the investigators want to take models of their conditions in a similar pools, because in the future there will be a smaller number of octopus by climate change. Another reason is extensivefishing, apart from the warming of the sea and people prefer working in the breeding station. And finally, in the breeding station, scientists can control the breeding of octopus.

    Carolina Prieto López 2ºB

    ResponderEliminar
  10. Octopods are an order of octopodiform cephalopod mollusks commonly known as octopuses. Like other cephalopods, the octopus has bilateral symmetry, with the mouth and beak located at the central point of its eight limbs. In my opinion, octopus are animals very flexible because they can put for tyny holes and they're soft. IN summary, I don't like this animals becuase They make me sick and repulsive.

    ResponderEliminar
  11. Este comentario ha sido eliminado por el autor.

    ResponderEliminar
  12. I think farm octopuses are good because if the temperature of the water rises because of global warming, they won't lay many eggs and they if scientists breed them, they won't disappear.

    ResponderEliminar
  13. (corregido)
    Octopods are an order of octopodiform cephalopod mollusks commonly known as octopuses. Like other cephalopods, the octopus has bilateral symmetry,with the mouth and beak located at the central point of its eight limbs. In my opinion, octopus are very flexible animals because they can go throught very tiny holes and they're soft. In summary, I don't like these animals because and they are repulsive.

    ResponderEliminar